Back to the list of questions

Can I contribute for a child if I’m a friend of the family?


Of course! Anyone can contribute to a child’s education savings, no need to be related!

You have several options:

You can open an RESP in the child’s name. The scholarship plans offered by Universitas Financial don’t require a family ties. You can opt for an individual plan or a group plan, with or without commitment. To open a plan, you will need the child’s social insurance number (SIN).

If you do not want to open an RESP yourself, you can opt for a gift certificate instead! We offer certificates for $50, $100, $500 or $1,000. This amount can be added to an existing RESP (with Universitas) in the beneficiary’s name, or be used to open a new plan.

There you go! It’s that easy to chip in and offer a promising future to a child dear to you, and in the way that works for you.

For more information regarding the above options, simply call our Customer Service at 1 877 710-RESP (7377). Our team is there to answer all your questions!