What qualification criteria must I meet to receive educational assistance payments (EAPs)?
The criteria correspond to those of the Income Tax Act (Canada).
The beneficiary can receive EAPs once he or she is enrolled in a qualifying educational program or a specified educational program. The student can attend school in person or be registered in a distance learning program, and is entitled to receive EAPs for up to six months after ceasing enrolment.
- A qualifying educational program corresponds to full-time studies:
- The program must last at least three consecutive weeks.
- The student must spend at least 10 hours per week on courses or work in the program.
- A specified educational program corresponds to part-time studies:
- The program must last at least three consecutive weeks; and
- The student must spend at least 12 hours per month on courses or work in the program.
- The beneficiary must be at least 16 years old.